Friday, June 1, 2018

I have a client originally from Nairobi. She has been here since she was about 8, living in toronto and found herself involved with some bad men. she fled to london and sought out help. i left her for a moment.
when i came back she had a strange smile. then she said 'you have been to africa'. 'yes', i said, 'how did you know?'... 'you left your shoes', she said...'and the elephants'....i explained to her that i've never been very good at keeping my shoes on and that the elephants are my ancestors.
she said 'i can tell that your spirit is good. i feel safe'.
i was wearing my flip flops from tanzania...the ones that the local shoe cobbler thought i was crazy for paying $60 to have re soled...i had worn them out. he told me they weren't worth that much. i told him they were worth that and more and to please just do the fucking work. not one bead has ever fallen off. my magic shoes.
at the school board i would have been written up for wearing footwear that violated a policy...funny how life works...today they helped me save a woman's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment