Saturday, April 1, 2017

Dear United States of America
I have loved you
I have loved your beautiful gifts
Of scenic beauty
Of playgrounds and fantasy lands
Of diversity
Of constant tension
As a child I longed for what you had
that I did not
First to get the new candybar, cool shoes, cheap booze
(well that's what my parents liked)
In convenience stores!!
Tiger Fuckin Stadium!!!
ICE COLD PEPSI!
I remember long road trips, my dad driving
abba playing
my mom singing along
dog snoozing in the back window
warm summer breeze
sailing through customs with a wave and a smile
birth certificates, not passports
my dog didn't even want to kill anyone
and on our way home, as i drifted in and out of dreamland
i would think about the fun we had that day
we'd roll into our gravel drive
the sound like a melody for me
my dad would carry us into bed, tuck us in
and i would disappear into the night
we can have that again
all that and more
we can take down the walls
we can tear down the barriers
we can all see and be seen
we are not what we think we are
we are the people we have been waiting for

No comments:

Post a Comment